Welcome to the first installment of Bike Check. We’re looking to make this a regular weekly feature. So get with us now if you’d like to have your ride featured. Our first one comes from reader Dave O’Brien, a Little Rock local.
Name: Dave O’Brien
Started Playing: 2009
Club:Little Rock Bike Polo
This bike has gone through a lot of changes since 2008. First it was my shiny fixed street-bike. Shortly after starting to play in 2009, I realized that my gearing(44×18) was gonna have to go & it’s been a slow
process of trying to get it right. The only thing I’m really bothered by at the moment is the toe-lap on the front…but I’m saving up for a new fork. Eventually I’ll get a Bruiser after this thing snaps.
Here’s what I got:
- Wheelset-IRO 32 spoke Aero with 32c Panaracer Paselas/Iro(Formula) hubs
- Frameset-KHS Flite (53)
- Cranks-Dimension CycloCross 65mm/94mm BCD (a double, so I could do a Bash-guard if I wanted…)
- Saddle-WTB Shadow
- Chainring- Blackspire Mono Veloce 32t
- Pedals-Big platforms…I’d rather have clipless than straps, but I’m liking not being attached at the moment.
- Seatpost-Thomson Elite (got it for 20 bucks cause it had a scratch J
- Headset-FSA Orbit
- Stem-FUNN Serial Grippa (35mm/10 degree rise)
- Bars-Charge Spit riser (chopped with Serfas Connectors grips)
- Brakes-I had a Dimension double-pull break lever that got stuck deep in my thigh a while back & I gave it away and am now running just a back brake (Shimano 105 caliper with a cross brake. The cross brake is OK, but I’ve ordered a bmx short-pull lever that should be better.
- Lots of stickers
- Wheel covers front & back…if my wheels get jacked I’m too poor to buy new ones.
I like this bike a lot & while I might be hot/cold on this thing…I know from experience that I can’t do shit on someone else’s ride.