Thirty of the best teams in the Midwest gathered last weekend in Columbus, Ohio for the Midwest Bike Polo Championship. Headed by Columbus Bike Polo Club, this tournament took place in a parking lot with some of the best boards I have ever seen. They had perfectly rounded corners that allowed balls to surf from one side of the court to the other. If you ever need to know how to make the perfect DIY court, hit up Grandpa John in Columbus Ohio.
Now to the results…
Adding another notch to their bedpost of tournament wins, Eric Kremin and Brian Dillman (teamed up with Pierre Delamare of DC) took the title after a hard fought win over The Makers (Nick LEX, Ben, Chris MKE). The team known as Beaver Bros (named by yours truly) sent The Makers into the losers bracket with a 1-0 victory in the winners bracket final. The Makers beat Turd Mergers (the team who had their first lose in the first round of the double elimination and fought their way to 3rd place) to get a second chance at the Beaver Bros. The final game consisted of two 10 minute halves. Beaver Bros claimed their title in the second half with a 5-3 win over The Makers.
The Midwest was allotted nine spots in the North American Championships, and these are the teams that will be heading to Minneapolis:
- 1st Beaver Bros (Pierre DC, Brian, Eric MKE)
- 2nd The Makers (Nick LEX, Ben, Chris MKE)
- 3rd Turd Murderers (Christopher LEX, Drew LOU, Adam TO)
- 4th Breaknecks (Charlie, Nick COMO, Nick MPLS)
- 5th The Lone Rangers (Jake, Matt, Guthrie MKE)
- 5th The Stragglers (Chris, Ian, Alan CIN)
- 7th Dark Horse (Jeff, Matt, Wade MPLS)
- 7th Pup n Suds (Justin, Michael, Jeremy CBUS)
- 9th Huffin’ Farts (Eric LEX, David, Peter CBUS)
Congratulations to all of these teams, and the best of luck to them all!